One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A close-fitting waist-length garment, typically having no sleeves or collar and buttoning down the front, worn especially by men over a shirt and under a jacket.
- ‘Men at their sides may have been attired in black frock coats, over waistcoats, white wing-collar shirts, black ties and top hats.’
- ‘This season the World Snooker Association bowed to calls from players to do away with the rule insisting they wear bow ties, white shirts and waistcoats.’
- ‘I peered outside at fishermen in green quilted waistcoats sat sheltered beneath big umbrellas beside a pond rippled by raindrops.’
- ‘The man is described as white, aged about 18, wearing a blue and white check shirt with either a body warmer or waistcoat style of jacket.’
- ‘The 39-year-old - recently named Sexiest Male at the British Soap Awards - especially likes wearing a white shalwar kameez with waistcoat.’
- ‘He was wearing black trousers, a black suit jacket, pale blue shirt, black waistcoat, blue/silver tie, black shoes.’
- ‘The shirt and the leather waistcoat I'm wearing are what I had on when the crash happened.’
- ‘By spring, all of the system's 7,000 station workers will be wearing sports jackets, padded waistcoats, Doc Martens and hats bearing high-visibility reflective bands.’
- ‘The second man had black hair, and wore a waistcoat over a white shirt.’
- ‘He dresses in immaculately pressed shalwar kameez and waistcoat - sheer Afghan chic.’
- ‘Black waistcoats over a white shirt (with the men wearing ties) is the order of the day, and very smart it looks too.’
- ‘In the 1920s and well into the '30s, the Sunday dress for the men was a navy suit, sometimes a waistcoat or the occasional pullover.’
- ‘The auctioneer stepped up onto the gangway above the sheep pens, briefly registered the small crowd of burly men in padded waistcoats and tweed hats and cleared his throat.’
- ‘He had on the uniform that I find strangely attractive - brown felt hat, white shirt, tweed waistcoat, tweed jacket and trousers, country but smart at the same time.’
- ‘The childcare service are also looking for hats, bags, shawls, waistcoats, belts, skirts etc for the children's ‘Dress Up’ box.’
- ‘Cap sleeves and a smock blouse look great with a waistcoat and teamed with a loose, lightweight scarf.’
- ‘The famous bowler hat and striped waistcoat are one of the jazz world's most famous trademarks.’
- ‘Cowboys opened the circus, dressed in jeans, waistcoats and Stetsons.’
- ‘The men's costumes include broad-brimmed hats, embroidered waistcoats, and short jackets.’
- ‘It was a pinstriped waistcoat with a collar and short-sleeved shirt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.