One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Wooden panelling that lines the lower part of the walls of a room.
- ‘The floor is tiled and timber panel walls are complemented by wainscoting to dado level.’
- ‘The furniture was all stained to match the black-stained cypress wainscoting.’
- ‘The bright red walls are framed between cream-colored wainscoting and picture rails.’
- ‘The sinks flank a vintage five-panel door and are backed by beadboard wainscoting made of tongue-and-groove 1x4s.’
- ‘The cedar battens that cover the joints in the wainscoting are typical of the way in which the architects create elegant ornamentation out of practical detail.’
- ‘We toured a house for sale in Tarkio, which turned out to have three stories, solid oak wainscoting, pocket doors, and beautiful wood floors.’
- ‘Bring the classic look of frame-and-panel wainscoting to any room in your house using simple shop-made moldings and custom fit plywood panels.’
- ‘Inside the inn were exposed beams, high cedar wainscoting on the walls, and wide cedar floorboards.’
- ‘Rugs on marble floors, dark wood wainscoting, patterned green silk wall coverings and the building's original cavernous ceiling breathe life into the installation.’
- ‘The Banke has been transformed into a space characterized by dark furniture, marble wainscoting and a central staircase suitable for Scarlett O'Hara.’
- ‘The walls were covered in pink and white striped wallpaper and mahogany wainscotting.’
- ‘Forget your poncy, designer-chic country-house hotels - let's get back to period wainscoting, peacocks and proper gravel drives.’
- ‘To give the home the air of a vintage farmhouse, she painted the walls in soft neutrals and chalky pastels, installed beadboard wainscoting, and replaced brass knobs and pulls with glass ones.’
- ‘Constanze continued the Shaker theme upstairs, where tongue-and-groove wainscoting provides an authentic period touch.’
- ‘It calmed me so much so that I was totally unalarmed when I saw a large black spider go scuttling by along the wainscotting.’
- ‘In every room, running along the base of the walls, was dark brown wainscoting.’
- ‘Two of the bedrooms have original cast-iron fireplaces while the bathroom has original wainscoting and offers access to the attic.’
- ‘So the latest controversy over so-called shared campuses for Catholic schools has brought the usual suspects out of the wainscoting in swarms.’
- ‘Reinstate timber wainscot boarding along eastern wall in its original position and remove item 13 to allow the proper installation of wainscoting.’
- ‘The afternoon sun was warm on the five workmen there, busy upon doors and window-frames and wainscoting.’
- 1.1 Material used to make wainscoting.
- ‘Fairfield Woodworks takes the wood left over after veneers are sliced off and recycles it into wainscoting and other trim materials.’
- ‘So when my cherry wainscotting arrives, send it up to the publisher's old office.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.