One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for barrel vault
- ‘Transepts have been added down the years, but not for a very long time and, if you are into wagon-roofs, Mortehoe's long open-timbered example will warm the cockles of your heart.’
- ‘The most important and distinguishing feature of this early architecture of Assyria is the wagon-vault or tunnel-vault, a prolonged arch of sun-dried bricks, raised obliquely from the walls and used to roof long halls, rooms, sewers and drains.’
- ‘The hall narrows to a vaulted passage with a Gothic wagon-vault and the passage vents to the central yard of irregular rectangle shape.’
- ‘Marked style changes left only a few traces of Gothic - timbered rooms, wagon-vaults and portals.’
- ‘The Church has one of the finest wagon-roofs in the West Country, dating from the 15th century and is richly carved with bosses, corbels and figures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.