One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A wading bird of the order "Charadriiformes" , which comprises the sandpipers, plovers, and related birds.
gumboot, wellington, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘The wader armed with a suitable fly rod is in excellent position to take advantage of this seasonal situation.’
- ‘In Scotland, gamekeepers blame the buzzard, a protected bird, for the deaths of thousands of partridges, pheasants, and waders such as curlews and plovers.’
- ‘The wise wader puts ‘witness marks’ or small dots on the blank of a favorite rod.’
- ‘When I began birding three waders: lapwing, redshank and snipe were all common breeders in many areas of Norfolk.’
- ‘A giant among waders, the curlew is unmistakable with long bill and legs.’
- ‘Swimmers and waders accounted for only 37 percent, though many more people swim or wade than surf or windsurf.’
- ‘The meadows are also important for breeding waders including redshank and curlew.’
- ‘Swimmers and waders were involved in 22 attacks and divers/snorkelers were victims in four.’
- ‘Our efforts will undoubtedly have been of great benefit to the important populations of wader birds on the islands.’
- ‘The mid-May surf run was a bonus for waders and pier and jetty fishermen.’
- 1.1North American A wading bird of the order "Ciconiiformes" , which comprises the herons, storks, and ibises.
- ‘At Laurel Hill, you can spot waders such as herons, egrets, bitterns and glossy ibis, and predators such as ospreys, hawks, falcons and owls, with even the occasional bald eagle.’
- ‘In addition to rare plants and wildflowers, you'll find hawks and ospreys lining the river and a host of waders along the shoreline.’
- ‘Lismore Lake provides a variety of habitat for swamp hen, ibis, egrets, and herons as well as many small waders.’
- ‘These are apt descriptions for that wondrous wader, the Black-crowned Night-Heron.’
- ‘In waders and shorebirds, which have large eggs for their body size, clutches are usually limited to a maximum of four eggs.’
2wadersHigh waterproof boots, or a waterproof garment for the legs and body, used especially by anglers when fishing.
- ‘Why all neoprene chest high waders don't have a fly zip I will never understand.’
- ‘I breakfasted, put on my waders, grabbed a couple of rods and commenced to walk the marshy mile or two to the Khuder.’
- ‘The water becomes so deep at the bottom of Castlegate it is out of bounds to pedestrians without waders or wellingtons.’
- ‘When moving around a stream or river in waders, the angler should carry as little equipment as possible and slide feet forward, not step, to avoid losing balance.’
- ‘Chest waders are good but make sure they've got a boot comfortable enough to allow for hours of walking.’
- ‘Driveways, gardens and entrances were under water and many villagers could not leave their properties without wellies or waders.’
- ‘Without doubt, these breathable waders are excellent and the best.’
- ‘It is vital to keep warm when standing waist deep in chilly water for the day, and waders could be considered the most important item in an angler's wardrobe.’
- ‘La Crosse also has a line of hip boots and waders in various styles for the hunter in extremely wet conditions.’
- ‘I rudely pushed past an old man in hip waders to reach the gravel road first.’
- ‘My waders, which had been perfectly alright the previous week now sprung a leak.’
- ‘More so than any lure or rod and reel, or even watertight waders, the greatest ally of any angler hoping to catch a huge trout is patience.’
- ‘We also packed our own hip waders for the somewhat less raging portions of the river.’
- ‘I had some chest waders on, but I decided to stay on the bank until I saw some movement.’
- ‘There is no doubt that to fish in Ireland, thigh waders are a must.’
- ‘I would also advise you take a good waterproof coat and some thigh waders.’
- ‘He had a spear, and was demonstrating tribal techniques for catching fish, joking with Jim, who was wearing waders and using a traditional fishing pole.’
- ‘If the weather turns rough, your guide can no doubt fit you up with waterproof clothing and waders.’
- ‘As I climbed into my chest high waders we chatted about the fishing prospects.’
- ‘The next morning I put on my waders, walked into the water on the Cathedral Stretch, and began to cast.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.