One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for mesembryanthemum
- ‘There are several other smaller vygie species in Sand Plain Fynbos, and they have a similar ability to store water in their leaves.’
- ‘The brightly coloured vygies add contrast to the blue and azure of the sea and the browns of the rocks.’
- ‘So many species are colourful like the long list of pelargoniums, vygies, and annuals which re-seed themselves.’
- ‘There are a staggering 1700 leaf-succulent species, of which mesems or vygies are the best known.’
- ‘Prince Albert has its own beautiful vygie that occurs only in this part of the world - the entire world population is found within a radius of about 5 km of Prince Albert.’
1920s: from Afrikaans, from Dutch vyg ‘fig’ + the diminutive suffix -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.