One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cavity in rock, lined with mineral crystals.
space, chamber, hollow, hole, pocket, pouchView synonyms
- ‘Veins in some septaria do not fill the fractures completely but form elongated vugs that are sometimes lined with well-formed crystals.’
- ‘Very narrow vugs containing quartz crystals are encountered in the quartz seams at times, but these invariably are barren of gold.’
- ‘The banded quartz is fascinating to study; euhedral crystals originally deposited in vugs and cavities were repeatedly covered with thin bands of agate.’
- ‘It occurred as a fine-grained siliceous vein filling and as discrete, clear, tiny crystals in vugs.’
- ‘Cavities or vugs in the centre of the veins make it possible for minerals to grow into free space forming large and well-formed crystals.’
Early 19th century: from Cornish vooga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.