One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in computer-based modelling or graphic simulation) each of an array of elements of volume that constitute a notional three-dimensional space, especially each of an array of discrete elements into which a representation of a three-dimensional object is divided.
- ‘A voxel (volume element) is defined as the individual picture element of a CT image, which has dimensions in the x and y plane, and includes the CT slice thickness as the third dimension (z axis).’
- ‘The internal voxels were then discarded, leaving the object surface only.’
- ‘The grid is made up of small cubes called ‘voxels,’ and each voxel has a specific address.’
- ‘Thus, the signal from each image voxel is then proportional to the amount of blood that entered the voxel in the delay between the selective inversion pulse and the image acquisition.’
- ‘Greene has pointed out the computational advantages of operating in voxel space for quickly checking for obstructions as well as determining direct lighting.’
- ‘In image reconstruction, the object is represented by a grid of pixels (picture elements) in two dimensions or voxels (volume elements) in three dimensions.’
- ‘Our sensitivity map demonstrates that in all voxels we had sufficient power to detect changes in gray matter fraction of 0.17 or less.’
- ‘The loss of lung tissue associated with emphysema can be measured as a reduction in lung density by CT, using various parameters derived from the frequency distribution histogram of lung voxels.’
- ‘The search engine works by converting stored CAD models and user-inputted sketches to voxels, the 3D equivalent of a pixel.’
- ‘The map demonstrates that, with our methods and subjects, changes in a voxel's gray matter fraction of 0.17 or less, depending on brain region, would have been detectable.’
- ‘A small portion of the image surrounding one of the z lines, as indicated by the box in Fig.1 B, was magnified so that individual voxels could be seen.’
- ‘The mean number of water molecules contained in a definite volume is obtained by summing up the local density over all contributing voxels.’
- ‘The simulation box was divided into slices parallel to the xy plane and the atoms within these voxels were counted.’
- ‘The values presented are the mean of nine voxels taken from the longitudinal images as shown in Figs 5 and 7.’
1970s: from the initial letters of volume and element, with the insertion of -x- for ease of pronunciation.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.