Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in music journalism) vocals; voice.‘his matinee-idol vox’
- ‘There's less vox here than on Folk Music, but that leaves plenty of room for Fisk and company to whittle about.’
- ‘Band mainstay Dominic O'Neill (vox, guitar, piano) and most recent recruit Katie Richardson (vox) tell us the story so far.’
- ‘After a week spent yelling my rock vox, my speaking voice was faint and used up.’
- ‘It starts out good, with this cool 80's type synth going on, and cool subdued vox - I actually thought it was Fischerspooner at first.’
- ‘I like the delays on the vox, too, but they're not terribly obvious.’
- ‘The lead vox - is there a distortion filter on them?’
- ‘The pop-rock trio from Donegal features Rory Gallagher (bass/vox), John McIntyre (guitar / vox), and Micky D (drums).’
- ‘Regardless of the obnoxious vox, The Rapture rocked OK.’
- ‘Faithfull is entitled to such a vox, one of pure European decadence.’
- ‘There's only so much that can be done with basic guitar strumming and male/female vox.’
- ‘When nobby joined on vox we had to break his spirit so we did a couple of gigs under the name of The UK Spuds.’
- ‘I could put TONS of reverb on my vox.’
- ‘Track two ` Be Content ' has more crazy noises and enticing vox, overall a really upbeat feel-good without ever been remotely cheesey sound.’
- ‘Spencer's vox are still sick and dirty.’
- ‘So - droll sung/spoken vox, chirruping synth loop, mind-numbing repetition - it carbon copies " Once in a Lifetime ".’
- ‘I really like the processing on the vox in the very beginning, too.’
- ‘Everyone in this band could play brilliantly well and their timing was impeccable, but the whole plot is lost in the tunes and terrible vox.’
- ‘Imagine the moody dronings of God Speed You Black Emperor, or Spaceman 3 and then add beautifully moody and sullen vox courtesy of Aurelio Valle.’
- ‘Those vox that open it: I don't know how they achieved it.’
- ‘The three - piece features Casey Laforet on guitar and vox, Mark Sasso on banjo with a voice like Shannon Hoon and Stephen Pitkin playing suitcases and percussion.’
1980s: shortened from vocals, probably after Latin vox ‘voice’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.