One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural volvuli, Plural volvulusesMedicine
An obstruction caused by twisting of the stomach or intestine.mass noun ‘caecal volvulus’
- ‘Recurrent volvulus is rare, but a second bowel obstruction due to adhesions (scar tissue build-up after any type of abdominal surgery) could occur later.’
- ‘Postoperatively, the patient had a distal intestinal obstruction requiring reduction of a volvulus.’
- ‘Complications can include volvulus, intestinal obstruction, infarction, perforation, and hemorrhage.’
- ‘A volvulus was noted at the level of the terminal ileum, caused by adhesions from the cecum to the small bowel, forming a closed loop obstruction that was causing some bowel wall congestion.’
- ‘Causes of intestinal obstruction include volvulus, intussusception, incarcerated hernia, and postoperative adhesions.’
Late 17th century: modern or medieval Latin, from Latin volvere ‘to roll’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.