One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of tourism in which travellers participate in voluntary work, typically for a charity.‘at the core of voluntourism is the desire to help others’as modifier ‘voluntourism programmes’
- ‘Our Travel for Good program promotes 'voluntourism' or getting people to take trips during which they participate in a volunteer activity - whether abroad or in areas close to home.’
- ‘Some of these programs were found on a website called Go Overseas, which is dedicated to listing and rating different voluntourism programs.’
- ‘Other tour operators stress that voluntourism really does have lasting impact because, despite rapid turnover among individual volunteers, trip organizers develop long-term relationships with community partners.’
- ‘Most recently, the company has now developed a line of tours, ranging from wildlife viewing to adventure travel to short-term voluntourism, all with the aim of supporting and driving forward conservation research and community development efforts.’
- ‘In working with Oceanic Society over the years I have helped to develop a variety of "voluntourism" research programs.’
- ‘"Voluntourism had long been billed as a gap-year experience, and I saw that it could be taken beyond youth; it just needed an aggregate platform," says Smith.’
- ‘Voluntourism trips are shorter, more entertaining versions of the kind of international work long sponsored by the likes of church missions and the Peace Corps.’
- ‘There are growing concerns about a lack of scrutiny and measurement of voluntourism, as more commercial tour operators enter what was previously the realm of non-profit organisations.’
- ‘Perrin's suggestions include travelling to a destination that uses a language they are learning at school and signing up for a voluntourism project in an area of interest, such as animal care.’
- ‘The international development charity Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) said poorly planned, "voluntourism" schemes that make money out of channelling public sympathy were having a negative impact on young people and the communities they worked with.’
- ‘The voluntourism guidelines state that volunteer programs can be part of for-profit operations so long as the core objective is to meet the needs of the local community.’
- ‘Voluntourism supporters are quick to point out indirect benefits too.’
- ‘Particularly when traveling internationally, the biggest expense with voluntourism is getting there.’
- ‘Voluntourism is an experience-based way to enjoy a country and discover its people at a grassroots level.’
- ‘We will offer voluntourism, fun, and great adventure with like-minded travellers.’
- ‘Trips to destinations all over the world are adding community restoration projects, but voluntourism in New Orleans isn't limited to building homes with Habitat for Humanity.’
1990s: blend of volunteer and tourism.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.