One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person or ideology) populist or nationalist, and typically racist.‘völkisch ideas and traditions’
- ‘In growing measure German Protestants were receptive to the Nazis' racist and volkisch ideology and to their myth of the German people's rebirth.’
- ‘The notion of a mystical figure embodying and guiding the nation's destiny was derived from volkisch thought, and Adolf Hitler was believed to have the will and power to actualise the Volksstaat (the people's state).’
- ‘Both fields have largely avoided landscape because of its association with Romantic aestheticism and, more ominously, volkisch nationalism.’
- ‘In this article he drew a connection between the radical 1968 movement and the development of a new völkisch (German-nationalist) ideology.’
- ‘The reply was indicative of the University's attitude; merely advising the complainant to avoid ‘doing anything that could excite or annoy his volkisch leaning colleagues’.’
- ‘Up until 1937 Faulhaber, who was a monarchist and a convinced and outspoken anti-democrat, believed that the real problem was not Hitler and his regime but ‘extremists’ in the Nazi party with their volkisch and racist ideology.’
- ‘Yet it was meant to be taken as forward looking, and combined volkisch racial unity with an emotional vitalism and idealism that was part youth movement and part expressionism.’
- ‘Jewish and Moslem groups protested, pointing out that the demand for a defining German culture inevitably evoked memories of the Nazis and their völkisch ideology.’
- ‘In the face of the very real dislocations brought on by the triumph of industrial capitalism and national unification, volkisch thinkers preached a return to the land, to the simplicity and wholeness of a life attuned to nature's purity.’
- ‘In the 1890s this volkisch programme was taken seriously by many conservatives, who shared the ultranationalists' enemies and harnessed nationalist demagogy to the defence of material interest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.