Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a clastic rock which contains volcanic material.‘volcaniclastic sediments’
- ‘The sediments are partly clastic and partly volcaniclastic because volcanism is active along such margins.’
- ‘Late Devonian to Carboniferous rocks consist of interbedded mudrocks, sandstones and volcaniclastic strata, whereas the Permian rocks are crystalline limestone with subordinate clastic and volcaniclastic sediments.’
- ‘Tuff dykes of unusual size invade coarser-grained volcaniclastic rocks of the Jurassic Mawson Formation at Coombs Hills and Allan Hills, Antarctica.’
- ‘Ladinian strata of the Balaton Highland (west-central Hungary) comprise interbedded marine carbonate and volcaniclastic rocks.’
- ‘Well-rounded clasts include lava, volcaniclastic sandstones and bioclastic limestones with nummulites, bryozoa, microbial carbonate and bivalve material.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.