Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or produced by a volcano or volcanoes.‘types of volcanic activity’‘thick deposits of black volcanic ash’
tense, charged, highly charged, overwroughtView synonyms
- ‘According to geologists, mountains are formed because of volcanic activity or the movement of the plates of the earth.’
- ‘The trees thrive in tropical conditions near the sea, and seem to prefer volcanic soils, as in the Moluccas and Grenada.’
- ‘At the base of the food chain are bacteria that dwell in the searing fluids belching from the volcanic vents.’
- ‘Even scarier and more destructive than volcanic mudflows are pyroclastic flows or glowing avalanches.’
- ‘More than 80 Vesuvius eruptions were listed in a recent worldwide directory of volcanic activity.’
- ‘This caused thermal uplift of Scotland and the East Shetland platform and volcanic activity.’
- ‘This confirms that the tension fractures were formed during the volcanic activity.’
- ‘However, this folding mechanism is thought to be related to the nearest volcanic activity.’
- ‘These became later covered in ash and dust from volcanic eruptions in the region.’
- ‘At least three phases of volcanic activity are present within the Erenlerdag Volcanic Complex.’
- ‘They suggest that the volcanic constructions on rifted margin segments develop through five main phases.’
- ‘Timau was an obvious choice in that the area has a temperate climate and fertile volcanic soils.’
- ‘Volcanologists now monitor the frequency of volcanic activity in an effort to predict eruptions.’
- ‘In addition to scoria and ash, other volcanic ejecta include blocks, bombs, and xenoliths.’
- ‘We estimate the magma production, erosion and marine depositional rates of volcanic products.’
- ‘A volcanic cone is composed of material ejected from the volcano.’
- ‘Such communities use the volcanic emissions as their sole source of energy.’
- ‘Old lava flows and beds of volcanic ash underlie the surface of much of this part of Colorado.’
- ‘However, many of these basins experienced intense volcanic activity which may have caused local folding.’
- ‘The seabed is a combination of volcanic ash, black sand and mud, strewn with the detritus of a million passing boats.’
- 1.1(of a feeling or emotion) bursting out or liable to burst out violently.‘the kind of volcanic passion she'd felt last night’
unpredictable, changeable, variable, inconstant, inconsistent, uncertain, erratic, irregular, unstable, turbulent, unsteady, unsettled, unreliable, undependable, changing, ever-changing, varying, shifting, fluctuating, fluid, mutable, protean, fitful, wavering, full of ups and downsView synonyms
- ‘As he gazes past you into the middle-distance, you sense that he could erupt in a volcanic temper.’
- ‘Football's corporate wing is doing its best to raise the level of excitement about the competition to volcanic levels.’
Late 18th century: from French volcanique, from volcan (see volcano).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.