Relating to the palm of the hand or the sole of the foot.
- ‘In the 19 cases with a second tendon, the aberrant tendon inserted into the tendon of abductor pollicis brevis in 12 cases, inserted onto the trapezium in six, and joined the volar carpal ligament in one.’
- ‘At the wrist, the radial artery gives off a volar carpal branch that joins the ulnar artery.’
- ‘Amputation injuries are also classified as dorsal, transverse or volar, according to the plane of the amputation.’
- ‘Cysts are self evident, being soft and ballotable, and occur along the dorsal and volar aspects of the wrist.’
- ‘The flexor sheath is a membranous structure, which surrounds the flexor tendons from the metacarpal neck to the volar plate of the distal interphalangeal joint and is attached longitudinally to the underlying bony structures.’
Early 19th century: from Latin vola hollow of the hand or foot + -ar.