Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A singer, typically one who regularly performs with a jazz or pop group.
singer, soloist, songstress, crooner, warbler, melodist, artisteView synonyms
- ‘We've recruited mad Lizzy on keyboards and we're looking for female backing vocalists too.’
- ‘The steady trickle of female, retro styled soul vocalists is threatening to become something of a deluge these days.’
- ‘Massive Attack used to be adept at bringing lesser known vocalists in to the mainstream and making them shine.’
- ‘The Blood Brothers' two vocalists play off one another, entwining their lightspeed lyrics into one orgiastic mass of sound.’
- ‘Jim loved the lyric and took the song into the studio with guest vocalists Collin Raye and Susan Ashton.’
- ‘Their music is spellbinding at the best of times, yet in the hands of their vocalists, it can be out of this world.’
- ‘But he has done an awful lot to open the door for jazz pianists and vocalists to cross over into the mainstream.’
- ‘Lead vocalist Pamela Brennan is the best of the available vocalists here.’
- ‘He's a guest vocalist on a Sharon Robinson album in all but name, and that's a waste.’
- ‘Most of the tunes are instrumental, though he drafts a few guest vocalists to quietly croon or blues-up the sound.’
- ‘Without the benefit of any of the guest vocalists, the band is still able to construct a coherent story.’
- ‘Well we have 3 songwriters and 3 vocalists so we have a few different styles.’
- ‘About half the songs have Spanish lyrics with a variety of sexy female vocalists that blend very well with the accompaniment.’
- ‘Luckily this has been balanced out by a mixture of house beats, vocalists and a synthesizer.’
- ‘It's too bad the vocalists fade out near the beginning, instead of joining in to help take the mood over the top.’
- ‘Like all great vocalists, notes not words are her primary tools for communication.’
- ‘What we've seen as well is the emergence of new female vocalists.’
- ‘This new album proves to be a modern day masterpiece laden with swirling strings, swing beats and guest vocalists a plenty.’
- ‘Mid-song, he calls up two backing vocalists to join him, and later adds a drummer.’
- ‘It's also proof that the Mamas were simply the finest group of vocalists to have ever found their way into a recording studio.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.