One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A transparent membrane surrounding and secreted by the fertilized ovum, preventing the entry of further spermatozoa.
- ‘Transcript destabilization fails in mutants with a defective vitelline membrane.’
- ‘The vitelline membrane was removed with forceps from the oocytes immediately before the experiments.’
- ‘Each embryo is surrounded, from exterior to interior, by the chorion, the vitelline membrane and the embryonic membrane.’
- ‘The cortical granule contents contribute to the vitelline membrane to form the fertilization membrane, and also provide a hyaline layer between it and the egg's plasma membrane.’
- ‘Mechanical devitellinization was performed by exerting gentle pressure on the coverslip to burst the vitelline membrane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.