Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A transparent membrane surrounding and secreted by the fertilized ovum, preventing the entry of further spermatozoa.
- ‘The cortical granule contents contribute to the vitelline membrane to form the fertilization membrane, and also provide a hyaline layer between it and the egg's plasma membrane.’
- ‘Each embryo is surrounded, from exterior to interior, by the chorion, the vitelline membrane and the embryonic membrane.’
- ‘Mechanical devitellinization was performed by exerting gentle pressure on the coverslip to burst the vitelline membrane.’
- ‘Transcript destabilization fails in mutants with a defective vitelline membrane.’
- ‘The vitelline membrane was removed with forceps from the oocytes immediately before the experiments.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.