One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief protein constituent of egg yolk.
- ‘The monoclonal antibodies used came from the yolk proteins vitellin and vitellogenin of the spined soldier bug, Podisus maculiventris, and the minute pirate bug, Orius insidiosus.’
- ‘One of the major changes that occurs during the maturation of oocytes is the accumulation of yolk protein, or vitellin.’
- ‘The biochemical, structural and amino acid sequence similarities between CMP and barnacle vitellin suggest that the former may be analogous to insect larval storage proteins (LSPs); the hexamerins.’
- ‘Therefore, if vitellin and CMP synthesis are under similar hormonal control, CMP expression may serve as a biomarker of endocrine disruption.’
- ‘The increase in the number descriptions of vitellogenin and vitellin has increased the ability to comprehend the differences that exist in decapod crustaceans.’
Mid 19th century: from vitellus + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.