Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Any of a group of vitamins found in liver and fish oils, essential for the absorption of calcium and the prevention of rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults. They include calciferol (vitamin D2) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.’
- ‘In four of the five trials, participants taking vitamin D also took calcium.’
- ‘Recent laboratory experiments suggest that vitamin D can also prevent the growth and spread of cancerous tumours.’
- ‘Good sources of vitamin D are fish liver oil, egg yolk, milk and sunshine.’
- ‘Foods high in vitamin D include fortified dairy products, eggs and fortified cereal.’
- ‘Most fortified soy milks have about as much calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D as cow's milk.’
- ‘The role of vitamin D in calcium absorption and metabolism for bone health is well known.’
- ‘Now it seems that commonly prescribed vitamin D and calcium supplements to reduce the risk of osteoporosis may have no effect.’
- ‘Rickets is a bone-softening disease caused by a lack of vitamin D or calcium.’
- ‘Rickets and the resulting bowlegs are almost always corrected by adding vitamin D and calcium to the diet.’
- ‘This is because the amount of vitamin D contained in human milk is not sufficient to prevent rickets.’
- ‘The findings are the first to demonstrate a link between vitamin D and prevention of prostate cancer.’
- ‘Various independent studies have suggested that vitamin D can treat or prevent cancer.’
- ‘Common sources of vitamin D in foods include fortified cereals, margarine and oily fish.’
- ‘Sunscreen prevented sunlight from generating vitamin D in the skin, risking serious deficiencies in the long run.’
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D, for instance, have been found to be a sound way to guard against osteoporosis.’
- ‘They are also a rare source of vitamin D, vital for the absorption of bone-building calcium.’
- ‘It's important for people with limited sun exposure to include good sources of vitamin D in their diets.’
- ‘Ultraviolet light increases the production of vitamin D - a nutrient that is known to offer protection against cancer.’
- ‘While oily fish is a good source of vitamin D, most of our needs for this nutrient are met by exposing our skin to sunlight.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.