Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A curriculum vitae.
cv, life history, biography, detailsView synonyms
- ‘Each applicant must submit a curriculum vita, a letter of support from a member of APA and, in the instance of a self-nomination, verification that the endorser will serve the role and complete the functions of a nominator.’
- ‘Whether it's for typing up memos, spreadsheets, presentations, standard operating procedures, thesis, curriculum vitas, or merely surfing the net, computer basics are required.’
- ‘But then, she didn't always have a professional vita that people twice her age would kill for, either.’
- ‘My full 18-point platform as well as a complete biographical statement and vita may be found at www.colinmartindale.com/home.htm.’
- ‘It's an important thing you can put on your vita.’
- ‘Who would have thought that one line on my vita, under community service, would have led to this job?’
- ‘Examination of his vita reveals that his efforts in his department and in other professional areas have been equally strong.’
- ‘A process streamlined into grim efficiency, yielding one more line on the scholar's vita.’
- ‘Having sung 12 roles at the MET is an impressive item on any tenor's vita, and not surprisingly he had no problems filling the Lisner Auditorium with his sound.’
- ‘The program will offer candidates practical advice on how to write a curriculum vita, how to present their research seminar, and what tools they will need to excel on their academic interview.’
- ‘Taking my own advice about applying to previous employers, I then submitted my vita to a medium-sized historically Black college where I also had worked as an adjunct professor.’
- ‘At least I think if I were, for example, 28th author, I wouldn't want to devote a full half-page of my vita to the 27 names that precede mine.’
- ‘Specific proposals should be sent to the Journal no later than Jan.15, 2004, with prospectus and brief vita.’
- ‘But it's not congressional ethics investigators who are most likely to frown on Daschle's lobbying vita.’
- ‘Interested candidates should submit six copies of their curriculum vita and a summary of their dissertation research - visit the Web address below for summary requirements.’
- ‘But not all faculty members should aspire to be administrators or measure a successful career by whether or not administration is on the vita.’
- ‘What about the average successful vita, though: that is to say, the kind of vita that professors most often must evaluate?’
- ‘For example, the content of a curriculum vita was reformatted to look like a letter, a dictionary and so on.’
Latin, literally life.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.