Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for displaying input signals as characters on a screen.→ VDU
- ‘As each person sat a small visual display unit zoomed out of a small square flap in the table space in front of them.’
- ‘On the visual display unit in Defence Control Area, the demon was seen to dive out of the smoke and roll across the ground, sliding slightly to a stop as the second explosion occurred.’
- ‘The gunner's station is equipped with gunner's main sight, three periscopes and a visual display unit.’
- ‘Dull metal machines clicking gently to one another, visual display units sending instant messages across the street, or half across the world, data and word processors recording silently the business of the company.’
- ‘However, in recent years computer scientists have been developing a range of animated agent faces, programs that generate images of human-like faces on the computer's visual display unit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.