One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary star of which the components are sufficiently far apart to be resolved by an optical telescope.
- ‘These were visual binaries - stars that could be resolved by eye using a good instrument.’
- ‘Sirius is a visual binary, and with her two different eyes, it could be cool.’
- ‘These spectroscopic binary stars are generally much closer to each other than visual binaries, as close as a few hundredths of an astronomical unit.’
- ‘The telescope, although not fully functional, is normally used for research on visual binary stars and for undergraduate student assignments.’
- ‘To the southeast of Algol lies a visual binary system, and surrounding this binary system is a patchwork of various stars making up the corner of the Milky Way called the Western Link.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.