A binary star of which the components are sufficiently far apart to be resolved by an optical telescope.
- ‘These were visual binaries - stars that could be resolved by eye using a good instrument.’
- ‘The telescope, although not fully functional, is normally used for research on visual binary stars and for undergraduate student assignments.’
- ‘These spectroscopic binary stars are generally much closer to each other than visual binaries, as close as a few hundredths of an astronomical unit.’
- ‘To the southeast of Algol lies a visual binary system, and surrounding this binary system is a patchwork of various stars making up the corner of the Milky Way called the Western Link.’
- ‘Sirius is a visual binary, and with her two different eyes, it could be cool.’