Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A designated time when visitors may come to see a person in a hospital or other institution.
- ‘The videotape used in this study addressed pain control, patient belongings, visiting hours, hospital discharge criteria, and communication with nurses, which are integral parts of a hospital admission.’
- ‘The visiting hours at the hospital are between 11.30 am and 12.30 pm, also between 4.30 pm and 6.30 pm.’
- ‘I would personally feel indignation to have to pay to visit someone in hospital or have to pay when I went for an appointment - especially since the buses stop running before the end of visiting hours.’
- ‘One or other of us has to stay at home during visiting hours just now so a small evening outing is only reasonable as a reward.’
- ‘Staff will also deal with elective and acute admissions as well as with general enquiries such as visiting hours and directions to the hospital.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.