Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action of developing a plan, goal, or vision for the future.‘they all agree on the importance of goal-setting and visioning’
- ‘Despite the setbacks, plans are under way to stage a strategic visioning day in mid March.’
- ‘The visioning process used by the UK management resulted in a clear statement of intent and, following that, an understanding of the strategic options open to the business.’
- ‘Until this unlikelihood occurs, we are left with a personal struggle to take control of our own destiny and attempt the visioning without Science to hold our hand and this is how it should be.’
- ‘However, apart from hearing about the process, the nation is yet to have more than a hint as to what this two-year-long pursuit of visioning will yield.’
- ‘The book is put together like a conversation and moves through emotional responses to analysis, and hopeful visioning for the future.’
- ‘Today, months of visioning, planning and dedicated effort have culminated in this physical expression - the breaking of the sod to build a cultural centre.’
- ‘And the chapters on visioning are not to be missed.’
- ‘Rather than concentrate on the method (e: g., directory-enabled networks) this question can be answered by using a little future visioning.’
- ‘All top achievers regardless of their field of excellence would have to agree on the importance of: goal setting and visioning; excellent instruction and feedback; hard work and practice; and the ability to perform.’
- ‘An important way to develop our future knowledge, or at least understand which competencies we need to develop, is through the use of scenario building or visioning.’
- ‘In addition to comprehensive lists of practical references, there is an appendix with work sheets to be used in the visioning process and planning activities for groups that wish to seriously pursue innovative marketing strategies.’
- ‘Once a project has been completed, a post-occupancy study is just as important as the predesign visioning process.’
- ‘The visioning day was a great success with more than 1000 comments being made.’
- ‘It's very much a visioning document, what we need to be if we're actually going to maintain a habitable planet for seven, eight, nine, ten billion people.’
- ‘I'm interested in views on everything ranging from strategic visioning to next generation commercial blurb.’
- ‘The congregation recently worked with a visioning process and community needs assessment.’
- ‘This newly-formed group has just drafted some ideas to enable discussion and input in getting a visioning process going for Hastings Park.’
- ‘But it may not be the best time to insist on a discussion about city visioning and livable streetscapes.’
- ‘For me, however, one of the most interesting portions of the conference was listening to participants engage in a visioning process with respect to the future of education in psychology and psychology in education.’
- ‘The programme also gives bosses opportunities to hear how existing businesses have implemented forward thinking, strategy and visioning to achieve success, and how they should prepare for the future.’
2The action or fact of seeing visions.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.