Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The body's natural ability to heal itself.
- ‘His passion to deeply understand and teach the vis medicatrix naturae was unparalleled.’
- ‘The defining principle of naturopathy is vis medicatrix naturae, or nature's healing power.’
- ‘Assisting the vis medicatrix naturae is the cornerstone of the naturopathic approach, philosophically and clinically.’
- ‘Naturopathic physicians respect and work with the vis medicatrix naturae in diagnosis, treatment and counseling, for if this self-healing process is not respected the patient may be harmed.’
- ‘Now it's up to you to raise his resistance and give the vis medicatrix naturae a chance.’
Latin, the healing power of nature.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.