Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The development of male physical characteristics (such as muscle bulk, body hair, and deep voice) in a female or precociously in a boy, typically as a result of excess androgen production.‘excessive growth of body hair is a common symptom of virilization’
- ‘Patients are often concerned about the physical manifestations of this disorder, including virilization and acanthosis nigricans, and may be less aware of systemic problems.’
- ‘Clinical clues to possible hyperandrogenism in women include dysmenorrhea, virilization, and severe acne.’
- ‘Administration of glucocorticoids inhibits excessive production of androgens, prevents progressive virilization, and stabilizes renin levels.’
- ‘Adverse effects such as virilization are few and can be minimized with reduction of the dosage.’
- ‘When women take exogenous androgens, the same irreversible virilization occurs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.