(in a man) the quality of having strength, energy, and a strong sex drive; manliness.‘great importance is placed on a man's virility’
manliness, masculinity, maleness, manfulness, manhood, machismo, gallantry, chivalry, valour, valiance, fearlessness, bravery, intrepidity, stout-heartedness, lionheartedness, boldness, daring, heroism, mettle, spiritView synonyms
- ‘Throughout history, and across every culture and civilisation, male virility and fertility have always been venerated.’
- ‘These writers were suspicious of the enervating effects of modernity, and contrasted Australian virility with the dulled manhood of Europe.’
- ‘The physical and mental health of the king was monitored carefully as his strength and virility indicated the strength and power of the whole kingdom.’
- ‘His fame has been based on a physical voice and sexual virility, both affected by age.’
- ‘She confused and seduced his senses, inspiring his limbs to greater virility and more masculine proportions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.