One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a man) the quality of having strength, energy, and a strong sex drive; manliness.‘great importance is placed on a man's virility’
manliness, masculinity, maleness, manfulness, manhood, machismo, gallantry, chivalry, valour, valiance, fearlessness, bravery, intrepidity, stout-heartedness, lionheartedness, boldness, daring, heroism, mettle, spiritView synonyms
- ‘The physical and mental health of the king was monitored carefully as his strength and virility indicated the strength and power of the whole kingdom.’
- ‘His fame has been based on a physical voice and sexual virility, both affected by age.’
- ‘These writers were suspicious of the enervating effects of modernity, and contrasted Australian virility with the dulled manhood of Europe.’
- ‘Throughout history, and across every culture and civilisation, male virility and fertility have always been venerated.’
- ‘She confused and seduced his senses, inspiring his limbs to greater virility and more masculine proportions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.