Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The condition which results from virilization.
- ‘However, he pointed out that androgen-related baldness was not strictly a male problem, and could also occur in women with high levels of male sex hormones, a condition called adrenal virilism.’
- ‘Adrenal virilism is caused by an androgen-secreting adrenal tumor or by adrenal hyperplasia.’
- ‘In adult women, adrenal virilism is caused by adrenal hyperplasia or an adrenal tumor.’
- ‘These typical lesions of the frontal bone with associated obesity and virilism were first described by Morgagni.’
- ‘Taken together, these data demonstrate that the SERM-mediated virilism observed in female rats is likely independent of the mammary gland ER antagonism of SERMs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.