One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lively North American country dance performed by a number of couples facing each other in parallel lines.
- ‘They do the Virginia reel and Scarlett's striking black dress and Rhett's black dandy suit cut a figure against the rest of the colorful ball gowns.’
- ‘We consider that the man who can fiddle all through one of those Virginia reels without losing his grip, may be depended upon in any kind of emergency.’
- ‘According to his diary, the hearth was christened with a fire, supper was served on a workbench lit by candles, and the few merry guests danced the Virginia reel.’
- ‘In Nevada, she learned to ride with cowboys and sometimes rode 12 miles to dance Virginia reels.’
- ‘Enjoy ‘old timey’ and bluegrass banjo, Carter Family-style harmonies, fiddling, clog dancing, western style squares and Virginia reels, and Harlem's savory Lindy Hop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.