[mass noun] The presence of viruses in the blood.‘uncontrolled virus proliferation leads to chronic viraemia’
- ‘By the time the rash or polyarthropathy presents in immunocompetent patients, viremia has cleared and the presence of serum antibodies confirms the diagnosis.’
- ‘Secondary replication occurs in the liver and spleen, with secondary viremia leading to viral invasion of the dermal capillaries and epidermis.’
- ‘Immunocompromised patients may have persistent viremia, larger lesions, purpura, and systemic involvement.’
- ‘In these cases, viremia was assessed by virus culture in serum and lung tissues at necropsy.’
- ‘Infection is often subclinical, manifested as asymptomatic viremia or shedding of virus in the respiratory tract or urine.’
1940s: from virus + -aemia.