One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Theravada Buddhism) meditation involving concentration on the body or its sensations, or the insight which this provides.
- ‘In this article major ancient Buddhist meditation techniques, samatha, vipassana, Zen, and ton-len, will be described in reference to contemporary clinical hypnosis.’
- ‘The formation known as Buddha's Palm is especially conducive to meditative practices such as vipassana, shamatha, and zazen.’
- ‘Although satipatthana, vipassana, or Zen can be done in walking or any other position, people usually think that a sitting posture is the best position for a meditator.’
- ‘Intellectual understanding is a necessary foundation for the development of direct understanding or insight, vipassana.’
- ‘Cemetery contemplations, for instance, are included in the Satipatthana Sutra, which I think of as the declaration of independence for vipassana meditators.’
- ‘To my surprise, I liked vipassana meditation a lot.’
- ‘The object of vipassana practice is to learn to see the truths of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and the selflessness of phenomena.’
- ‘All this is done while maintaining a sense of vipassana, or clear seeing, which opens the yogi to the world around them and creates a healthy balance to the refined inner vision of yoga practice.’
- ‘One of the primary meanings of vipassana is ‘insight' - insight into the impermanent and empty nature of all mental and physical formations.’
- ‘The students make a commitment to daily vipassana [insight meditation] practice to learn how to handle painful information.’
- ‘The meditation used in the study is adapted from the Buddhist contemplative tradition of vipassana - ‘to see things as they really are.’’
- ‘You have said that samatha and vipassana or concentration and insight are the same.’
- ‘Thus, Buddhist monks acquire both concentration and mindfulness skills through samatha and vipassana meditation training.’
- ‘He also took up a particularly strict form of meditation, vipassana, which entails going on lengthy silent meditation retreats spent in cupboards, among other places.’
- ‘I had a hard time doing vipassana meditation in the beginning.’
- ‘Do you agree that it is important if one is serious about developing vipassana that we must avoid certain sense objects such as violent movies?’
- ‘It is an amazing fact about the human mind that when insight arises and deepens through vipassana, or ‘insight meditation practice,’ particular aspects of the truth about existence tend to be revealed in a definite order.’
- ‘In vipassana, or insight meditation, the practitioner consciously explores the body and mind.’
- ‘The clinging to the concept of self can only be eradicated through vipassana.’
- ‘One highly regarded contemporary vipassana teacher accomplished most of her early daily practice as a single mother doing childcare and housework.’
Pali, literally ‘inward vision’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.