Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (in Theravada Buddhism) meditation involving concentration on the body or its sensations, or the insight which this provides.
- ‘Thus, Buddhist monks acquire both concentration and mindfulness skills through samatha and vipassana meditation training.’
- ‘It is an amazing fact about the human mind that when insight arises and deepens through vipassana, or ‘insight meditation practice,’ particular aspects of the truth about existence tend to be revealed in a definite order.’
- ‘One highly regarded contemporary vipassana teacher accomplished most of her early daily practice as a single mother doing childcare and housework.’
- ‘The meditation used in the study is adapted from the Buddhist contemplative tradition of vipassana - ‘to see things as they really are.’’
- ‘All this is done while maintaining a sense of vipassana, or clear seeing, which opens the yogi to the world around them and creates a healthy balance to the refined inner vision of yoga practice.’
- ‘The object of vipassana practice is to learn to see the truths of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness, and the selflessness of phenomena.’
- ‘The formation known as Buddha's Palm is especially conducive to meditative practices such as vipassana, shamatha, and zazen.’
- ‘Although satipatthana, vipassana, or Zen can be done in walking or any other position, people usually think that a sitting posture is the best position for a meditator.’
- ‘He also took up a particularly strict form of meditation, vipassana, which entails going on lengthy silent meditation retreats spent in cupboards, among other places.’
- ‘To my surprise, I liked vipassana meditation a lot.’
- ‘In this article major ancient Buddhist meditation techniques, samatha, vipassana, Zen, and ton-len, will be described in reference to contemporary clinical hypnosis.’
- ‘In vipassana, or insight meditation, the practitioner consciously explores the body and mind.’
- ‘Intellectual understanding is a necessary foundation for the development of direct understanding or insight, vipassana.’
- ‘One of the primary meanings of vipassana is ‘insight' - insight into the impermanent and empty nature of all mental and physical formations.’
- ‘You have said that samatha and vipassana or concentration and insight are the same.’
- ‘The clinging to the concept of self can only be eradicated through vipassana.’
- ‘The students make a commitment to daily vipassana [insight meditation] practice to learn how to handle painful information.’
- ‘Cemetery contemplations, for instance, are included in the Satipatthana Sutra, which I think of as the declaration of independence for vipassana meditators.’
- ‘I had a hard time doing vipassana meditation in the beginning.’
- ‘Do you agree that it is important if one is serious about developing vipassana that we must avoid certain sense objects such as violent movies?’
Pali, literally inward vision.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.