One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1technical Of a violet colour.‘the fruiting body is pink or violaceous’
- ‘Grossly, the surface of the lungs may show flat to slightly raised disk-shaped red to violaceous plaques confined to the visceral pleura.’
- ‘This also may reflect the fact that bronchoscopic visualization of typical violaceous endobronchial lesions in patients with cutaneous Kaposi's sarcoma is usually considered diagnostic of intrathoracic Kaposi's sarcoma.’
- ‘Papules of sarcoidosis may be of various colors, including red, reddish-brown, violaceous, translucent, or hyperpigmented.’
- ‘Osler's nodes are painful, swollen, violaceous subcutaneous nodules occurring mainly in the pulp of the fingers and toes.’
- ‘A 40-year-old man presented with a violaceous-rimmed ulceration on his inner thigh.’
- ‘Occurring suddenly and spontaneously without bleeding, their color ranges from bright red to violaceous.’
- ‘The skin lesions appeared as weeping, nonhealing ulcers, erythematous macules, or violaceous nodules.’
- ‘It lived up to its reputation with violaceous trogon, cinnamon and other woodpeckers, woodcreepers, antwrens, antbirds, antshrikes, purple-throated fruit-crows, wrens and flycatchers.’
- ‘Lichen planus is characterized by flat-topped, polygonal, violaceous papules, which are much smaller than the confluent papulonodular lesions seen in severe atopic dermatitis.’
- ‘Ashy dermatosis is a chronic condition characterized by asymptomatic, slate-gray or violaceous hyperpigmented macules distributed most commonly over the trunk and proximal extremities, and less frequently over the face and neck.’
- ‘Gottron's papules, violaceous papules overlying the dorsal interphalangeal or metacarpophalangeal areas, elbow or knee joints, occur in approximately 70 percent of patients with dermatomyositis.’
- ‘The physical examination revealed a 42 mm erythematous and violaceous, irregularly bordered plaque with intermittent atrophy, hypopigmentation, and scarring.’
- ‘The external examination was remarkable for violaceous discoloration and thickening of the skin of the left lower abdomen, left flank, labia, and proximal extremities.’
- ‘Her nails were long and painted the same violet as her lips, seeming to be just as sharp as her teeth, her hair the same violaceous hue, standing up in 6 inch spikes from the top of her head in a faux Mohawk.’
- ‘Lividity is distributed dorsally, is the usual violaceous color, and blanches with light pressure.’
- ‘Newly formed edge epithelium, often violaceous in color (termed the edge effect), indicates stimulated healing.’
- ‘Some areas may coalesce to form tender, raised, violaceous dermis.’
- ‘The classic appearance of skin lesions includes violaceous polygonal flat-topped papules and plaques.’
- ‘An inflammatory dermatosis of unknown etiology, lichen planus classically presents as shiny, violaceous, flat-topped, polygonal papules, 2 mm to 10 mm in diameter.’
- ‘Physical examination was positive for edema in the lower extremities and multiple violaceous cutaneous ulcers surrounded by tender brawny erythema.’
Relating to or denoting plants of the violet family ("Violaceae" ).
- ‘The gleba is violaceous brown, marbled with numerous veins of two kinds.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin violaceus (from viola ‘violet’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.