Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1technical Of a violet colour.‘the fruiting body is pink or violaceous’
- ‘Osler's nodes are painful, swollen, violaceous subcutaneous nodules occurring mainly in the pulp of the fingers and toes.’
- ‘Lividity is distributed dorsally, is the usual violaceous color, and blanches with light pressure.’
- ‘A 40-year-old man presented with a violaceous-rimmed ulceration on his inner thigh.’
- ‘The classic appearance of skin lesions includes violaceous polygonal flat-topped papules and plaques.’
- ‘The physical examination revealed a 42 mm erythematous and violaceous, irregularly bordered plaque with intermittent atrophy, hypopigmentation, and scarring.’
- ‘The skin lesions appeared as weeping, nonhealing ulcers, erythematous macules, or violaceous nodules.’
- ‘Grossly, the surface of the lungs may show flat to slightly raised disk-shaped red to violaceous plaques confined to the visceral pleura.’
- ‘Newly formed edge epithelium, often violaceous in color (termed the edge effect), indicates stimulated healing.’
- ‘This also may reflect the fact that bronchoscopic visualization of typical violaceous endobronchial lesions in patients with cutaneous Kaposi's sarcoma is usually considered diagnostic of intrathoracic Kaposi's sarcoma.’
- ‘Gottron's papules, violaceous papules overlying the dorsal interphalangeal or metacarpophalangeal areas, elbow or knee joints, occur in approximately 70 percent of patients with dermatomyositis.’
- ‘It lived up to its reputation with violaceous trogon, cinnamon and other woodpeckers, woodcreepers, antwrens, antbirds, antshrikes, purple-throated fruit-crows, wrens and flycatchers.’
- ‘Papules of sarcoidosis may be of various colors, including red, reddish-brown, violaceous, translucent, or hyperpigmented.’
- ‘An inflammatory dermatosis of unknown etiology, lichen planus classically presents as shiny, violaceous, flat-topped, polygonal papules, 2 mm to 10 mm in diameter.’
- ‘Lichen planus is characterized by flat-topped, polygonal, violaceous papules, which are much smaller than the confluent papulonodular lesions seen in severe atopic dermatitis.’
- ‘The external examination was remarkable for violaceous discoloration and thickening of the skin of the left lower abdomen, left flank, labia, and proximal extremities.’
- ‘Physical examination was positive for edema in the lower extremities and multiple violaceous cutaneous ulcers surrounded by tender brawny erythema.’
- ‘Some areas may coalesce to form tender, raised, violaceous dermis.’
- ‘Ashy dermatosis is a chronic condition characterized by asymptomatic, slate-gray or violaceous hyperpigmented macules distributed most commonly over the trunk and proximal extremities, and less frequently over the face and neck.’
- ‘Occurring suddenly and spontaneously without bleeding, their color ranges from bright red to violaceous.’
- ‘Her nails were long and painted the same violet as her lips, seeming to be just as sharp as her teeth, her hair the same violaceous hue, standing up in 6 inch spikes from the top of her head in a faux Mohawk.’
Relating to or denoting plants of the violet family ("Violaceae" ).
- ‘The gleba is violaceous brown, marbled with numerous veins of two kinds.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin violaceus (from viola ‘violet’) + -ous.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.