One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cytotoxic compound of the alkaloid class obtained from the Madagascar periwinkle and used to treat acute leukaemia and other cancers.
- ‘Nitrofurantoin, dapsone, metronidazole, isoniazid, disulfiram, amiodarone, vincristine, cisplatin, Taxol, phenytoin, chloramphenicol, hydralazine, and high-dose pyridoxine can all lead to neuropathies.’
- ‘Our patient did not respond to cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone combination therapy as has been the experience with all other patients with PEL.’
- ‘The patient experienced a complete remission while receiving hyperfractionated cyclophosphamide, vincristine, adriamycin, dexamethasone chemotherapy, and she has remained in complete remission for more than 7 months.’
- ‘The patient was treated with a combined cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy regimen, resulting in a partial response.’
- ‘Treatment consisted of intrathecal methotrexate via Omaya reservoir followed by systemic CHOP (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone) therapy and whole brain irradiation.’
- ‘The types of drugs used are vincristine (from periwinkles), prednisone (a steroid), asparaginase (an enzyme) or daunorubicin (an antibiotic).’
- ‘The patient was treated per the hyper-CVAD protocol (cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and dexamethasone) with intrathecal prophylaxis and achieved a complete remission.’
- ‘The chemotherapy agents used were combinations of methotrexate, mitoxantrone hydrochloride, cyclophosphamide, vincristine, etoposide and prednisolone, ranimustine and enocitabine, and carboplatin.’
- ‘She was treated with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone and had a good initial response.’
- ‘Of the plant-derived anticancer drugs in clinical use, the best known are the alkaloids vinblastine and vincristine, isolated from the Madagascar periwinkle, Catharanthus roseus.’
- ‘He received treatment with multiagent chemotherapy that consisted of vincristine, doxorubicin, cyclophosphamide, and prednisone.’
- ‘She underwent 6 cycles of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine sulfate, and prednisone chemotherapy and obtained remission.’
- ‘The medication vincristine has been used widely and successfully to treat cancer for many years, but sometimes the medication is mistakenly administered in the sac around the spinal cord (ie, intrathecal) instead of intravenously.’
- ‘The patient was treated with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone chemotherapy starting in August 1998.’
- ‘The patient was treated initially with prednisone, vincristine, adriamycin, and intrathecal methotrexate.’
- ‘What benefits the willow tree that its bark should contain salicylic acid; or the foxglove, digitalis; the periwinkle, vincristine; or the poppy, opiates?’
- ‘Some types of medications used include azathioprine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine or vinblastine.’
- ‘In reality, more than 30% of conventional medications come from common plant sources (eg, digitalis from foxglove, vincristine from periwinkle).’
- ‘Digoxin, morphine, ephedrine, vincristine, ergotamine, bromocriptine, and others are carefully tested and standardized drugs from plants.’
- ‘Combined chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone was initiated.’
1960s: from modern Latin Vinca (see vinca) + a second element perhaps based on crista + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.