One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of vigilantes.
- ‘Then there are misconceptions like members of vigilance committee being government employees and getting paid by us!’
- ‘A vigilance committee hanged the three men accused of being the ringleaders, while the lives of the rest were spared.’
- ‘While attention was drawn to the cattlemen, the work of the urban vigilance committees continued unabated.’
- ‘But the vigilance committee inside me is prepared.’
- ‘Setting up village vigilance committees in such areas is another suggestion.’
- ‘When the vigilance committee threatened him with death, he retreated to a nearby settlement, Centerville, where the sheriff supplied his group with rifles, raising the specter of a clash of arms.’
- ‘Outside the judicial system, the Confederate military and civilian vigilance committees continued to threaten and attack people suspected of disloyalty.’
- ‘The loyalty of schoolteachers was screened by local vigilance committees.’
- ‘One juror had worked for the Union army, and another had protected civilians from vigilance committees and served as a Union scout.’
- ‘This is precisely what occurred in Socorro, New Mexico during the 1880s, when an Anglo vigilance committee arose in opposition to the predominantly Mexican legal authorities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.