One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Old-fashioned; hackneyed.‘a joke that was vieux jeu even in my day’
old-fashioned, outmoded, out of fashion, out of date, unfashionable, frumpish, frumpy, out of style, outdated, dated, out, outworn, old, former, dead, musty, old-time, old-world, behindhand, past, bygone, archaic, obsolescent, obsolete, ancient, antiquated, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘As staged at the Donmar Warehouse, Accidental Death is often funny, but seems pointless - vieux jeu.’
- ‘Kidnapping in the Concert Hall seems distinctly vieux jeu.’
- ‘Nietzsche wrote somewhere that when you show people something true they sometimes behave as if it were old hat - vieux jeu - and accuse you of peddling platitudes.’
- ‘On the other hand, the topic seems these days somewhat outmoded, old hat, vieux jeu.’
- ‘But the bland vieux jeu flavor of this Whig story is made piquant by the theoretical gloss Rorty and Vattimo provide - a gloss certainly not found in Gibbon or Hume.’
- ‘By this date, also the putative period of Emma, caro sposo would be very vieux jeu - rather like someone in the 1990s resurrecting trendy jargon from the swinging sixties (‘Cool, man!’).’
French, literally ‘old game’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.