One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Old-fashioned; hackneyed.‘a joke that was vieux jeu even in my day’
old-fashioned, outmoded, out of fashion, out of date, unfashionable, frumpish, frumpy, out of style, outdated, dated, out, outworn, old, former, dead, musty, old-time, old-world, behindhand, past, bygone, archaic, obsolescent, obsolete, ancient, antiquated, superannuatedView synonyms
- ‘Nietzsche wrote somewhere that when you show people something true they sometimes behave as if it were old hat - vieux jeu - and accuse you of peddling platitudes.’
- ‘But the bland vieux jeu flavor of this Whig story is made piquant by the theoretical gloss Rorty and Vattimo provide - a gloss certainly not found in Gibbon or Hume.’
- ‘On the other hand, the topic seems these days somewhat outmoded, old hat, vieux jeu.’
- ‘Kidnapping in the Concert Hall seems distinctly vieux jeu.’
- ‘By this date, also the putative period of Emma, caro sposo would be very vieux jeu - rather like someone in the 1990s resurrecting trendy jargon from the swinging sixties (‘Cool, man!’).’
- ‘As staged at the Donmar Warehouse, Accidental Death is often funny, but seems pointless - vieux jeu.’
French, literally ‘old game’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.