Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A roll performed by an aircraft as a sign of triumph, typically after a successful mission.
- ‘Instead, he came in on the deck and pulled up in the frequently done victory roll over the runway, with anti-aircraft fire following him.’
- ‘A replica of the first Bulgarian aircraft, the DAR - 1, from 1926, did a victory roll.’
- ‘‘I did a victory roll at the top,’ the 62-year-old Melvill joked from atop the spaceship after it glided safely to a landing.’
- ‘Mr Henshaw ended his 30-minute flight with a loop-the-loop and a string of victory rolls.’
- ‘‘Perform three victory rolls,’ growled Madruk to his pilot.’
- ‘And then there were the cheeky Spits doing their victory rolls.’
- ‘It was stirring stuff as Charlie Brown put the historic fighter through its paces - doing loop-the-loops and victory rolls.’
2A large curl of hair created by rolling a section back from the face and securing it to the top of the head, especially popular as a way of styling the hair in the 1940s.‘glamorous young women with victory rolls in their hair’‘she's often rocking a retro victory roll’
- ‘They wear gloves, hats, and sometimes wigs if they haven't had a chance to set their bright red hair into victory rolls or finger waves.’
- ‘They demonstrated how to create and set perfect pin curls and how to style them into a glamorous victory roll.’
- ‘A victory roll updo works best on unwashed hair, which has more grip.’
- ‘Twist the front sections of your hair into coils for a 1940s-inspired victory-roll look that will instantly add glamour to any outfit.’
- ‘As war drew to a close, women adopted the victory Roll.’
- ‘Glamorous young women with classic victory rolls in their hair touch up their lipstick.’
- ‘Aside from the amazing hair accessories and victory rolls, these ladies had one gorgeous feature in common: a sexy, drawn-out cat eye.’
- ‘Every morning Christine sits at her Edwardian dressing table and fixes her hair in classic 1940s victory rolls.’
- ‘His date, lips popping red, long blonde hair pulled into victory rolls, would have fit in when the Eagle was a fly boy hangout.’
- ‘Her hair is styled with a victory Roll.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.