One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bond issued by a government during or immediately after a major war.
- ‘With the help of some corrupt accountants, he swindled gullible suckers among the public with so-called ‘victory bonds’.’
- ‘This is an example of a victory bonds poster, which would have been displayed throughout the United States during World War II to encourage citizens to buy victory bonds.’
- ‘For a city or district to receive the flag, its citizens had to have purchased a specified value in victory bonds.’
- ‘It was a train that went around the world and did shows to sell victory bonds.’
- ‘Buy the New Victory Bonds: This World War II propaganda poster promoting ‘the new victory bonds,’ depicts a mother and child being threatened by the hands of Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.