One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a viceroy.‘viceregal rule’‘the viceregal carriage’
- ‘One of the most important industries in viceregal Mexico was the production of tin-glazed earthenware, known as Talavera, which was made primarily in Puebla.’
- ‘Henry also managed the difficult task of ruling lands on both sides of the Channel by instituting bodies of viceregal administrators for each region.’
- ‘In this case, the viceregal authority will regard the Senate's vote as a bit of political posturing which it has both constitutional and practical reasons to pay absolutely no attention to.’
- ‘In order to further reveal his xenophobic nature, it would not be a bad idea to recall his extraordinary proposal that Gandhi should be bound hand and foot and trampled by viceregal elephants.’
- ‘Some of the silver and textiles produced in viceregal Peru found their way to Spain thanks to the great royal collector Philip II.’
- ‘The colonial authorities encouraged Spanish and indigenous settlement in the area with incentives of formal viceregal land grants (mercedes reales) awarded by the Crown.’
- ‘Portraits of the aristocracy of the viceregal era include members of the clergy, the military and the landed gentry.’
- ‘He became ophthalmologist to the viceregal household in 1853.’
- ‘At his death, Franz Mayer left his collection of viceregal Mexican art to his adopted nation to afford the people of Mexico tangible evidence of their rich colonial heritage.’
- ‘The silver made in Mexico during the viceregal period is legendary, yet most of the surviving examples are ecclesiastical rather than domestic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.