One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the main items in the preceding statement the other way round.‘cruise from Cairo to Aswan or vice versa’
conversely, inversely, the other way round, contrariwise, oppositely, in reverse, reciprocallyView synonyms
- ‘I wanted HIM to come running to ME, not vice versa.’
- ‘It was now both of their turns to watch out, so as Megan stepped she would look down the hall on Marvolo's side and vice versa.’
- ‘You can only compose if you understand how to conduct and vice versa.’
- ‘Please view the italics as simply the opposite of the regular format, and vice versa.’
- ‘But Clay knows I know him better than anyone else possibly could, and vice versa.’
- ‘I don't have a bone to pick with them and vice versa.’
- ‘Yuki introduced Kisho to everyone and vice versa.’
- ‘Everett knew everything about her, and vice versa.’
Early 17th century: from Latin, literally ‘in-turned position’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.