One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A department or division of a police force that enforces laws against prostitution, drug abuse, illegal gambling, etc.
- ‘In her third case, Tennison joined the vice squad to fight child exploitation, gay prostitution, and police corruption.’
- ‘When the vice squad raided his home they found 735 seedy films.’
- ‘He turned in a stream of hot stories about the city police department which was embroiled in a corruption scandal inside the vice squad.’
- ‘‘The Minister for Health should set up a vice squad to cater specifically for children sucked into prostitution and other sex crimes,’ he said.’
- ‘Inside were three cops assigned to the Rampart vice squad.’
- ‘Police from Hampshire's vice squad were unavailable for comment as the Daily Echo went to press.’
- ‘He was promoted to sergeant in 1980, and posted to nearby Tower Hamlets where he worked as a plain clothes officer in the vice squad and the crime squad.’
- ‘I visited the chief of police in charge of the Amsterdam vice squad, as we would call it.’
- ‘To facilitate the fieldwork, I spent a year attached to the police vice squad responsible for policing street prostitution offences.’
- ‘They had issued a flyer protesting the vice squad's raid of the service provider's office.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.