One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A department or division of a police force that enforces laws against prostitution, drug abuse, illegal gambling, etc.
- ‘To facilitate the fieldwork, I spent a year attached to the police vice squad responsible for policing street prostitution offences.’
- ‘In her third case, Tennison joined the vice squad to fight child exploitation, gay prostitution, and police corruption.’
- ‘He was promoted to sergeant in 1980, and posted to nearby Tower Hamlets where he worked as a plain clothes officer in the vice squad and the crime squad.’
- ‘They had issued a flyer protesting the vice squad's raid of the service provider's office.’
- ‘Inside were three cops assigned to the Rampart vice squad.’
- ‘When the vice squad raided his home they found 735 seedy films.’
- ‘He turned in a stream of hot stories about the city police department which was embroiled in a corruption scandal inside the vice squad.’
- ‘I visited the chief of police in charge of the Amsterdam vice squad, as we would call it.’
- ‘Police from Hampshire's vice squad were unavailable for comment as the Daily Echo went to press.’
- ‘‘The Minister for Health should set up a vice squad to cater specifically for children sucked into prostitution and other sex crimes,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.