One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vice considered characteristic of the English, especially the use of corporal punishment for the purpose of sexual stimulation.
- ‘Humiliation, in the form of flagellation, has long been known as le vice anglais; now public humiliation has become part of mainstream culture, for entertainment.’
- ‘Thus Hankey may, for all I know, single-handedly be responsible for the coining of the French term ‘le vice anglais’.’
- ‘Le vice anglais, for those who want to know, translates to The English Vice, and it's what many of the French dubbed BDSM and flagellation.’
- ‘I especially recall it in 1979, the very peak year for sales of that special smoke, as well as for what smart circles used to call le vice anglais.’
- ‘And most French people will continue to talk smugly about binge drinking - they even use the same phrase - being just another vice anglais.’
- ‘Not for nothing do the French refer to flagellation as ‘le vice anglais’.’
French, literally ‘English vice’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.