One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A musical percussion instrument with a double row of tuned metal bars, each above a tubular resonator containing a motor-driven rotating vane, giving a vibrato effect.
- ‘In almost every song there is an acoustic element of either guitar, piano, horns, or vibraphones present in the mix.’
- ‘It contains more than 40 drums, gongs, a vibraphone and seven-feet marimbas to name but a few.’
- ‘He also learnt to play the vibraphone, saxophone and percussion instruments.’
- ‘They take centre stage among a small eclectic ensemble of instruments, including two Hammond organs, electrically amplified violin and vibraphones.’
- ‘‘Maybe we'll have some congas and bongos, marimba and vibraphones, a bass drum, cow bells - perhaps a Chinese gong,’ she said, thoughtfully.’
- ‘The vast orchestra includes almost everything that tinkles, jingles or bangs, even bells, a vibraphone and a windmachine, as well as women's voices without words.’
- ‘Found sounds, guitars, vibraphones, 8-bit synths and analogue drum machines are brushed vigorously with cut and paste pyrotechnics, exploding aurally with a pretty pop rather than colourful starburst.’
- ‘Beneath it, there's a sense that the ever-present vibraphone and glockenspiel are tapping out a secret language.’
- ‘Real drums drop some real groove, vibraphones vibe, and for the most part, I find it very easy to label this ‘modern jazz.’’
- ‘Mr. Herman sits surrounded by 20 percussion instruments, including two timpani, vibraphones, glockenspiel, chimes, cymbals and sleigh bells.’
- ‘Prop is a unique conglomeration of vibraphones, marimba, synthesisers, drums, percussion and bass guitar - a tuned percussion group with a rhythm section.’
- ‘Don smiles, enjoying the moment as Tom arranges music on four separate stands ready for the chase around the mallets, timpani, marimbas, vibraphones and celesta that he knows will test his agility, his practised facility.’
- ‘The rest of the mix, however, is a bit more jazzy and quirky, blending piano, flute, organ vamps, vibraphones, and some basic samples.’
- ‘Tape loops, samples, piano and the odd vibraphone take these songs away from the usual acoustic fare in favour of quirkier, yet still emotional, folk pop.’
- ‘A marimba also is essentially a set of wooden bars, while the glockenspiel and vibraphone involve metal bars.’
- ‘He began playing the guitar and cuatro at 14, and later mastered the vibraphone and the harmonica, which became one of his signature sounds.’
- ‘For the other soloists, flute, clarinet, cello, Xylorimba, marimba and vibraphone, we have all of these in the Orchestre de Paris, played by instrumentalists chosen from the best soloists in France.’
- ‘Moore has a guitar, Cline has a guitar with some effects pedals, Gustaffson has a saxophone, a clarinet and a flute, and Winant has a drum kit, a vibraphone, and some various percussion.’
1920s: from vibrato + -phone.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.