[mass noun] The study of flags.
- ‘It is the Internet's largest site devoted to vexillology (the study of flags).’
- ‘It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of vexillology, the scientific and scholarly study of flag history and symbolism. pop’
- ‘For those interested in vexillology, there is an interesting website dealing with this topic for the former South Vietnam here’
- ‘See how you fare with this quiz on vexillology (the study of flags and flag-related matters).’
- ‘Jack also enjoys vexillology and can signal Bible passages from memory in fluent semaphore.’
- ‘I learned most of what I know about vexillology from Whitney, who is a good personal friend and mentor.’
1950s: from Latin vexillum flag + -logy.