A small, unsweetened cake of deep-fried dough.
- ‘Slit sides of vetkoek and fill with savoury mince.’
- ‘Simmering pots of meat and containers with vetkoeks and bread stands on the floor.’
- ‘Seems you can afford to eat more of those vetkoeks then.’
- ‘Eight people are now employed at the facility, which bakes and sells bread, vetkoeks and scones to the community on a daily basis.’
- ‘Small businesses run by students vary: a pool table business on campus, selling vetkoek to students, selling clothing, IT start-ups, offering students cosmetics and beauty products, and finding and renting student accommodation.’
Afrikaans, from vet fat + koek cake.