One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The solving of problems using conventional logical processes.Contrasted with lateral thinking
- ‘Mr De Bono coined the phrases lateral and vertical thinking, we think diagonally.’
- ‘Rule-based vertical thinking makes perfect sense for ballet and competition ballroom dance for example.’
- ‘The report presents Peggy McIntosh's typology and vertical thinking construct as one kind of curriculum approach.’
- ‘It goes from the global toward the concrete through a sequential and logical thinking process, a vertical thinking process.’
- ‘Thus where vertical thinking focuses on the answers, lateral thinking generates questions and hypotheses.’
- ‘Limitations of vertical thinking include being right at every stage and having everything rigidly defined.’
- ‘With vertical thinking categories, classifications and labels are fixed, with lateral thinking they are not.’
- ‘To persist with vertical thinking when one should be using lateral thinking is dangerous.’
- ‘Let's start with vertical thinking, as this is the easiest concept - or type of thinking - to start with.’
- ‘In vertical thinking, one moves forward by sequential steps each of which must be justified.’
- ‘Lateral thinking enhances the effectiveness of vertical thinking by offering it more to select from.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.