One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A market comprising all the potential purchasers in a particular occupation or industry.
- ‘Acquisition of SeeBeyond signals a growing presence by Sun in vertical markets and small and medium businesses (SMBs).’
- ‘Most of these are in defence, industrial vertical markets such as telcoms and automation, and healthcare.’
- ‘The company continues to serve two distinct markets: multinationals and defined vertical markets within North America.’
- ‘Some, like Finland's TietoEnator, are focusing on certain vertical markets while gingerly expanding their global presence.’
- ‘What industries or vertical markets have you worked with?’
- ‘They invariably talk about a particular vertical market that has X billions of dollars in sales each year.’
- ‘We will have significant strength in customer support, outsourcing, system and network integration, and vertical markets.’
- ‘By separating into vertical markets, choices would be simpler for users and they would require fewer costly studies and evaluations.’
- ‘You might not see those skills in your vertical market.’
- ‘The group's first challenge was to identify the most promising e-commerce opportunities from among Honeywell's many vertical markets.’
- ‘In 1998, I was based in Manhattan, organizing Xerox around vertical markets, when the company reorganized.’
- ‘To enter a new vertical market, he says, would take him a year, ‘and the charge is not going to be a few thousand, but 10 times more.’’
- ‘A lot of the vertical markets do not yet have the ability to completely automate a transaction.’
- ‘Which vertical markets seem to have the most security professionals and how is that changing, if at all?’
- ‘Today, the Tablet is stuck mostly in such vertical markets as insurance and health care.’
- ‘‘The totality of a relationship goes beyond who knows who,’ says Rick Klau, vice president of vertical markets at Interface.’
- ‘It's an important job: developing partnerships with software vendors in key vertical markets.’
- ‘Of course, small to medium businesses and companies in other vertical markets will also be on the Intrinsic radar screen.’
- ‘In corporate and vertical markets Microsoft has the potential advantage of installed base.’
- ‘The company is seeking out VARs and integrators active in the health care, financial and retail vertical markets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.