One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Green, as a heraldic tincture.postpositive ‘three piles vert’
- ‘The soup uses haricots vert, or tiny French green beans (substitute regular-size green beans if you like).’
- ‘Add haricots vert and mix well and allow to cool.’
- ‘These are snap beans right here; we plant about an acre each week and there are eleven varieties, one of which is a baby haricot vert.’
Late Middle English (as an adjective): via Old French from Latin viridis ‘green’.
A vertical or very steeply sloping part of a ramp, used by skateboarders, snowboarders, skiers, etc., to perform jumps and other manoeuvres.
- ‘The concave walls are four metres or more in height and culminate in what is known as the vert.’
- ‘I liked watching him skate in circles in the empty spot where the vert ramp used to be before his run.’
- ‘I think I was the first person to do backside blunts on vert and noseblunt slides on vert.’
- ‘I'm not totally sure who was the first do to this on vert - maybe Eddie Elguera in about 1979.’
- ‘I first saw the kid ripping the vans vert ramp about two years ago and he has just been killing it ever since.’
- ‘Then there is a 10-foot clover bowl complete with vert, tile, and pool coping.’
- ‘I came somewhere in the Australian titles, which wasn't too good, 5th in Street and 7th in vert.’
- ‘It was way gnarlier than anything I've seen anyone do on vert.’
- ‘Behind the vert there is a 16 foot tall vert wall with about 7 feet of vert.’
- ‘Paul Zitzer married his special lady friend Renee this June in a celebration attended by vert skating's elite.’
- ‘It was close to Halloween, and Pat Duffy had a party that night at his vert ramp.’
- ‘But, after a week of skating vert with pads and not making much progress, they decided to ditch the idea.’
- ‘Would you rather jump out of a helicopter into a vert ramp or film your video part wearing Corey Duffel's pants?’
- ‘I saw a group of skateboarders I knew from Austin and asked them directions to the vert ramp.’
- ‘Glen was skating as good or better than when I last saw him at the Boulder vert ramp back in '96.’
- ‘The only good thing about this park is they have the best vert ramp in Houston.’
- ‘It had two large bowls, a small snake run and a large street course with banked walls, a vert wall and a pyramid in the middle.’
- ‘It's got one section of pool coping, but it's got 10-foot trannies and two feet of vert in the deep end.’
- ‘An afternoon on a vert ramp will do that to you, especially if you don't let up.’
- ‘I voiced this out to Jack as he surveyed the view that lay in front of him, the big concrete depressions and verts, all the while listening to me.’
1970s: abbreviation of vertical.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.