A short prelude or interlude for organ.
overture, introductory movement, introduction, opening, voluntaryView synonyms
- ‘The work is made up of eight versets, each of which reflects a different stanza of this fine Lenten hymn.’
- ‘In most biblical poetry, lines consist of two or three versets (sections of a line), most with 2-3 stresses.’
- ‘His output includes many liturgical items such as hymns, Kyries, and versets for psalms and canticles.’
- ‘The second verset of the Kyrie, for example, is a fugue on the reed stops based on the chant melody.’
- ‘There I played the versets for him on the magnificent Cavaillé-Coll at Saint-Ouen.’
Middle English (denoting a versicle): from Old French, diminutive of vers verse.