One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who writes verse; a poet.‘I have always admired his skill as a verse-maker’
verse writer, versifier, rhymester, rhymer, sonneteer, lyricist, lyrist, elegistView synonyms
- ‘His course in English versification, for example, was not intended to create verse makers but to tempt the students into various kinds of verse making, mainly because metrical composition is an excellent discipline for prose writing.’
- ‘An anti-poetic Dominican was notorious for persecuting all verse-makers; whose power he attributed to the effects of heresy, and magic.’
- ‘The French verse-makers aimed at something higher than the English, and produced works which depend on pomp and style for any claim to attention they may have.’
- ‘The Quakers of Pembrokeshire will be arranging a fortnight of activities in honour of the Pembrokeshire verse-maker.’
- ‘His father told him that "Verse-makers were always Beggars," and thereafter his interest in poetry was sporadic.’
- ‘If the verse makers of our time are to improve on their immediate precursors, we must be vitally aware of the duration of syllables, of melodic coherence, and the tone leading of vowels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.