One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A private view of paintings before public exhibition.
opening ceremony, official opening, launch, initiation, inauguration, institution, foundation, establishment, setting up, formation, constitution, opening night, premiere, first night, first showingView synonyms
- ‘Oil paintings are hung two or three deep in the manner of an 18th century vernissage.’
- ‘Have you noticed how everyone turns out in black these days at vernissages?’
- ‘With the exception of its poorly attended Rothko Retrospective, tonight, Nov.13, at 8 p.m., marks Bifteck's first official hi-culture vernissage.’
- ‘On April 30, 1884, invited guests lined up at the Palais de l' Industrie for the vernissage, the exclusive preview of the Salon.’
- ‘This area can be reserved for vernissages or other private events.’
- ‘Most vernissages are boring, you have a couple bottles of wine and a few peanuts.’
- ‘Those so inclined can raise a glass at the vernissage, Tuesday, Feb.20, 6 p.m. at the MAI.’
- ‘‘This isn't a vernissage,’ says MarieLyne Tarabulsy matter-of-factly.’
- ‘Tomorrow Philgood and partner db will be hosting a vernissage at their own Center Records store on St-Laurent (north of Laurier).’
- ‘‘This TV show called Play came down to my vernissage and the host was dressed in pyjamas,’ she remembers.’
- ‘The works are displayed around the walls on steel beams, stacked four high; ‘skied’ like some industrial version of a 19th century vernissage.’
- ‘As the beer was chilling for the vernissage of the dual exhibition Fra Delinquenti, the Mirror sat the duo down for a compare-as-you-dare chat.’
- ‘Angel also sold paintings in California, and had a vernissage at Chroma Gallery in Savanna, Georgia, which he calls his favourite city.’
- ‘The opening night vernissage will benefit the Norton Museum of Art.’
- ‘A curator's talk and vernissage take place Nov.14 at the Leonard & Bina Ellen Art Gallery of Concordia (1400 de Maisonneuve W.).’
- ‘Before long, fate delivered him to a vernissage where Régine Chassagne was singing.’
- ‘The vernissage is on Sept.13 at 2 p.m., runs until Oct.18.’
- ‘Their cherry beer will premier at the vernissage for Geneviève Oligny's cherry-praising lantern series Queues de la cerise.’
- ‘The vernissage goes down Nov.9, 7-10 p.m., with an electronic performance by Gepdi.’
- ‘Local art adorns the walls on the second floor, and the space is sometimes reserved for vernissages and Concordia-related events.’
French, literally ‘varnishing’, originally referring to the day prior to an exhibition when artists were allowed to retouch and varnish hung work.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.