One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for veronica (sense 2)
- ‘The vernicle ‘is the cloth on which the features of Christ are said to have been miraculously impressed when it was used to wipe his face as he went to Calvary.’’
- ‘The Veil of St Veronica is one of the group of Christian images referred to as vernicles or archeiropoieta.’
- ‘Only Julian actually mentions paintings, a crucifix, and a vernicle.’
- ‘This thesis will examine the iconography of late-thirteenth - through fifteenth-century images of St. Veronica's veil, also known as vernicles.’
Middle English: from Old French, alteration of vernique, from medieval Latin veronica.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.